Through our performance-based approach to music lessons, School of Rock students are more inspired to learn, more motivated to excel and more confident as a result. Each of our programs are designed to teach guitar, bass guitar, keyboards, drums and vocals in an interactive environment.
At School of Rock, kids just starting out will learn the fundamentals of playing a musical instrument in a fun and interactive group environment.
Rock 101 students will master the basics while playing actual rock music before jumping into live shows. Songs in Rock 101 are chosen to highlight the skills needed to build a strong foundation on a respective student's musical instrument.
For example, a beginning guitar player needs to learn power chord shapes, so we have picked a few Ramones songs that use these forms as a basis to introduce the concept.
Our Rock 101 music program includes:
- Learning the basics of technique and music theory
- Understanding the dynamic of playing in a group
- A weekly private music lesson on guitar, bass guitar, keyboard, drums, and / or vocals
- A weekly group band rehearsal
School of Rock's Lessons+ music program offers a lessons-only approach and is appropriate for students of all ages and skill levels.
Lessons+ is a perfect option for music students seeking a lessons-only program and other great membership benefits. It's ideal for students who have a limited schedule, but are still seeking the School of Rock Experience or want to maintain their music instruction while exploring other School of Rock programs, such as camps. Students receive hands-on private music lessons with a rock instrument of their choice, but just without the group band rehearsal dynamic.
The Lessons+ program includes:
- Weekly private music lesson on guitar, bass guitar, vocals, keys and/or drums
- Access to special member-only artist events, programs and workshops
- Discounts off show tickets
School of Rock's Performance Program is the premiere music education experience for young musicians.
The Performance Program is designed for kids who know the basics of how to play their instrument and are ready to take it to the stage. This program introduces the team element into music instruction. Students will learn harmonies, musicianship and how to perform in an authentic rock show environment.
Each season, students spend time honing their music skills while preparing to perform some of the greatest songs in rock and roll history.
Past student programs have include roof raising tributes to Pink Floyd's The Wall, Led Zeppelin, Van Halen, AC/DC, Best of the 80s, Punk Rock, Devo, Frank Zappa, Queen, and many more fun and exciting programs.
All student musicians enrolled in our Performance Program will receive:
- Weekly private music lesson on guitar, bass guitar, keyboards, drums and/or vocals
- Weekly three-hour band rehearsal to prepare for the rock concert
- Enhanced learning in key areas such as stage performance, harmonies, musicianship and more
- Choice of new show themes every season
Artist Development programs are designed to help students take their playing to the next level. Band Coaching, Project Studio and Epic Albums, are designed for intermediate to advanced students of all ages the opportunity to enhance their performance skills, broaden their creativity in the studio, and further develop their musical knowledge and skills.
- Band coaching gives bands an edge through coached rehearsal sessions with a professional musician, focusing on the development of their live show and sound. Bands receive constructive feedback and assistance with getting gigs. Band Coaching features a weekly 90-minute rehearsal for bands with the desire to improve the quality of their performances and get to the next level.
- Epic albums bring together musicians to recreate and rerecord the music of some of Rock and Roll's most important albums. Students will learn the recording process through the dissection and recreation of pivotal albums including: OK COMPUTER (Radiohead), NEVERMIND (Nirvana), LED ZEPPELIN IV (Led Zeppelin), DOOKIE (Green Day) and MASTER OF REALITY (Black Sabbath).Epic Albums features a weekly private lesson and 90-minute pre-production session complemented with an intensive, once-a-month studio session.
- Project Studio immerses students into the process of songwriting and recording in a studio environment. This program will give students an opportunity to collaborate, write and record their own original music. Project Studio features a weekly private lesson, a weekly 90-minute pre-production session and a monthly studio session.
Play with Artist
In our Guest Professor Program, School of Rock invites established artists to interact and/or perform with our students nationwide. Participating artists have performed with our students at high profile venues and have participated in interactive small group clinics at our local schools. Topics and structure of these events can include Q&A sessions, Meet & Greets, instructional clinics on stage presence and songwriting. This unique program allows artists to not only gain exposure, but to mentor the next generation of hopeful young musicians.